“It feels like the perfect night to dress up like hipsters…”
I’ve waited 7 years for this… and if I’m being honest I’ve been more excited about turning 22 then I ever was about turning 21.
I could give you a long elaborate post about everything that’s happened so far in my life and how those experiences effected me, but I feel like it’d be easier to just tell you that I’m very happy to be here and give you some bullet points.
(also- if I haven’t gotten “22” stuck in your head already feel free to pull up your spotify and listen to it while you read this. It’ll help you get the full effect of how I’m feeling today… go ahead. I’ll wait.)
- Acne does not go away once you reach your twenties. I hate to burst anyone who was clinging to that hope’s bubble… but it doesn’t. 🙁 Which brings me to…
- Do not underestimate the power of a good skincare routine. As tempting as it has been on numerous occasions to fall into bed after a 10 hour wedding day with all my makeup on- I HAVE ALWAYS REGRETTED DOING THAT.
- My value does not come from others. It does not matter what my peers think of me, the industry, or random strangers off the street. My value comes solely from what God thinks of me and what I think of me.
- Steve Harvey says “Men respect standards. Just get some.” Well, I’m here to tell you that that doesn’t just apply to Men. People respect standards and you teach them your standards; by what you do or do not allow.
- You will never be able to make everyone happy.
- Being single is not depressing and actually way more fun then people make it out to be.
- Creativity is a muscle. The more you create, the more inspired you will be to continue creating.
- Structure and routines are wonderful things (contrary to what my teenage self believed.) I Marie Kondo-ed my life the beginning of the year and doing that has helped me be way more focused and motivated at the start of everyday.
- Match the investment that others put into you. There will be seasons in any relationship where you do more giving then taking and vise versa, but if you are consistently the person required to give- it’s time for a serious re-evalutation.
- I would rather be all alone then be surrounded by people who make me feel all alone.
- Making your bed every morning really can change your life.
- Rejection is inevitable. Don’t let it stop you from trying.
- You do not need to attend every argument you are invited to. Some people and situations aren’t worth it. Just move on with your life.
- You become like what you are around.
- Shopping sale sections is a new and better form of crack
- My Mom was right about everything (maybe not EVERYTHING, but 95% of things)
- Cultivate relationships with women who are older than you. Having someone with more life experience then you, that you can trust to tell it to you how it is, and give you advise when you need an unbiased opinion is one of the things I’m most thankful for in my life. (Looking at you Natalie. <3 )
- Having parents that you can call your friends and also fully support your decision to not attend college, is something not everyone is fortunate enough to have. That’s the one of the other things I’m most thankful for.
- When in doubt- WWKMD (What would Kate Middleton Do?)
- Keds go with almost everything.
- I (unfortunately) like my money where I can see it- sitting in my styling closet. (or my camera bag… either one)
- I still have no clue what I’m doing… and that’s okay